Major Events Gold Coast Pty Ltd (MEGC, we, our, us) is a publicly funded organisation established to secure the staging of major events on the Gold Coast. MEGC collects and manages personal information in the course of performing its activities, functions and duties. We respect the privacy of the personal information held by us. This Statement describes generally how any personal information we collect from you or that you provide to us will be held, used, processed or disclosed.
2. WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION
For the purposes of this Statement, “personal information” is any information or opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database) about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion – whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether or not the information or opinion is recorded in a material form. Examples of personal information include names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers.
3. HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
As far as possible, we will collect personal information directly from you, for example when you:
- Request information or contact us through our website, or by telephone or fax;
- Correspond with us in writing (such as letters or emails);
- Provide your business card or other documents to us (such as applications, contracts, tender documents or your resume);
- Have any other dealings with us including but not limited to social media, telephone, in person or through correspondence;
- Provide any other personal information to us when you make an enquiry, request information, respond to marketing, enter into one of our competitions or promotions, complete a survey or lodge a complaint.
However, in certain circumstances, we may collect your personal information from a third party, for example:
- Government agencies;
- Our professional advisers;
- Our contracted service providers;
- Your current or former employer (for example, to obtain a reference check if you are applying for employment with us); and
- Any other organisation with whom we do business.
4. TYPES OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The kinds of personal information we collect may include, but are not limited to:
- Your personal and/or business contact details (including your address, landline or mobile telephone numbers, fax number and e-mail address);
- Your employment details (including your company name, job title and business sector);
- For employees- your banking, tax and superannuation fund details (including your tax file number and ABN if applicable);
- Personal and/or commercial information provided when you apply for event funding or support from us;
- Personal and/or commercial information provided when you commence a business relationship with us;
- Personal information provided when you seek employment with us, or after you commence employment with us;
- Credit card or other financial details if you purchase anything from us;
- Contact and identification details of any third party that you have authorised to negotiate or provide your personal information on your behalf (including any attorneys appointed by you under power of attorney);
- Your “Twitter” or other social media identity and posts;
- Any correspondence between you and us;
- Any other personal information provided to us when you make an inquiry, request information, respond to marketing, enter into one of our competitions or lodge a complaint.
5. HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for one or more of the following purposes:
- Responding to your requests or inquiries (including enquiries seeking approvals, and media, marketing and communication related enquiries) and providing you with any publications, information or other services requested by you;
- Assessing your application for employment;
- Your employment relationship with us;
- Assessing your event funding or support applications;
- Providing you with event funding or support;
- Assessing your expression of interest to participate in our events or festivals;
- Administering your participation in our events or festivals;
- To assess potential contracting opportunities with you;
- To enable the performance of contracts with you;
- To enforce our legal rights or otherwise comply with our legal obligations;
- Communicating with you during the course of your business or other relationship with us;
- Managing any subscription services that we provide;
- Where necessary, maintaining and updating our records;
- Making our website easier for you to use and providing you with access to all parts of our website;
- Notifying you of important changes or developments to our functions, activities, services or our website;
- Administering, supporting, improving and developing our business and services;
- To protect the rights, property and security of others;
- Any other purpose which relates to or arises out of requests made by you;
- If you enter one of our competitions, processing and assessing your entry, awarding the competition to the winner and undertaking any activity connected to the competition;
- Analysing economic, social and other outcomes of events that we stage or support;
- If you lodge a complaint with us, processing and responding to your complaint;
- Doing anything which you authorise or consent to us doing; or
- Taking any action that we are required or authorised by law to take.
6. HOW WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
In carrying out our functions, duties and activities, we may disclose your personal information to:
- Business partners;
- Our event funding and support partners such as City of Gold Coast and Tourism and Events Queensland;
- Our employees;
- Bodies to which we are authorised or required by law to disclose such information (for example, City of Gold Coast, other public sector bodies, government agencies and law enforcement agencies);
- Security and other agencies for the purposes of conducting security checks who will deal with your personal information in accordance with their own privacy policies;
- To our professional advisers, contractors or service providers who we have engaged or appointed to carry out, or advise us with respect to our functions, duties or activities;
- Any parties with whom we have entered into an arrangement (for example, a joint venture partner or contractor) for the carrying out of our functions, duties or activities;
- Suppliers we engage for data processing and other administrative and support functions;
- Any specific parties which we have advised you of at the time the relevant personal information is collected;
- Any party that acquires our rights or assets; or
- Any other entities, with your express or implied agreement.
7. HOW WE STORE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We take reasonable precautions to deal with your personal information lawfully and to protect it against loss, and unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other forms of misuse.
Some examples of the safeguards we use to protect your personal information include:
- Password protection on our computers;
- Restricted access to our offices;
- Induction and training for our employees on information security and confidentiality procedures; and
- Regular back up of our databases.
We cannot however guarantee the security of any information you provide to us in an email or in online form while it is being transmitted to us, because the internet is a potentially unsecure method of information. Any transfer of information from you to us is at your own risk.
Whenever you voluntarily post private information in public areas of the website, you should be aware that such information can be accessed by the public and may in return be used by others to send you unsolicited communications. We recommend that you exercise discretion in deciding what information you post in public areas of the website.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Please be aware that disabling cookies completely means that certain personalised features may not be provided. We may use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are most being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve the website by tailoring it to user needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes, then the data is removed from the system.
Some cookies are not set by us, but by other sites which provide a service or functionality on our website. These ‘third party’ cookies may require you to visit the websites of these third parties to manage, delete or block them.
9. DIRECT MARKETING
If you opt in, we may send you direct marketing communications and information about products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. If you agree to the receive such communications, you acknowledge that they may be sent in various forms (including but not limited to mail, SMS, email, EDM) and in accordance with all applicable laws. If you indicate any preference as to how you wish to receive any communication, we will take reasonable steps to use that method where practical.
You may elect to opt out of receiving direct marketing communications from us at any time by contacting us at the details set out below or otherwise using any relevant opt out facility provided. Upon doing so, we take all reasonable steps to ensure that you are removed from our mailing list.
10. DISCLOSURE TO OVERSEAS RECIPIENTS
Any personal information that you provide to us or that we otherwise obtain from you may be transferred to or stored in a destination outside of Australia. Furthermore, it may also be processed by staff operating outside of Australia who may not be employed by us but who have entered into a contract with us in relation to the processing of the relevant personal information. By submitting personal information to us you expressly consent to us transferring, using, storing or processing all such personal information to relevant international third parties. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that any personal information submitted to us is stored, used or processed securely when transferred to any third party.
11. ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
If you wish to have access to any documents held by us which contain your personal information, please contact us.
Please note that we may ask you to make your request in writing and provide us with evidence of your identity, and that under some circumstances under the Act or other legislation, we may not be able to provide you with the access you requested.
If you have a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, please contact us.
Please note that we will ask you to lodge your complaint in writing.
Within 45 business days of receiving your complaint we will investigate the circumstances of your complaint and provide you with a response.
13. PRIVACY CONTACT
Our Privacy Contact Details are:
- By post at: Major Events Gold Coast, Mezzanine Level, 10 Beach Road Surfers Paradise QLD 4217
- By email: email@example.com
14. CHANGES TO PRIVACY STATEMENT
We may from time to time make changes to this Privacy Statement. If we amend this statement, we will post the amended statement on our website.